Co-operative education, or co-op as it is commonly called, alternates periods of study with paid, career-oriented work placements in a student’s field of study.
Co-op relies on the close cooperation between academic institutions, employers, and students to place students in practical work environments where they can apply the theoretical education they have obtained in the classroom, to the benefit of all parties involved.
The co-op programs at Cégep Heritage College have been designed to meet the changing needs of the labour market. Each co-op program focuses on extensive practical, project-oriented delivery by faculty with extensive industry knowledge and experience in a small, supportive classroom environment.
The Heritage Advantage
All Heritage students develop a solid foundation of skills from their program of study and a well rounded education with a general education curriculum in English, French, Humanities, and Physical Education. In addition, all co-op students are prepared for professional and ethical conduct in the workplace and are fully prepared to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and work in a team.
Benefits to Employers
Co-op students, under the employer’s supervision and the College’s guidance, bring substantial skills and contributions to an organization, enabling an employer to:
- Get to know potential employees before hiring
- Lower recruitment costs
- Provide trained employees with assistance
- Carry out projects that may otherwise remain in the planning stage
- Promote your organization
- Ensure high-quality graduates for a changing marketplace
- Forge productive partnerships with education
Benefits to Students
A co-op experience offers considerable benefits to students including:
- Increased confidence
- Enhanced professional and interpersonal skills
- Opportunity to apply course content
- More motivation and commitment for the upcoming semester
- A better understanding of the professional positions within the field
- Invaluable advice and guidance from a professional in the field
- Increased employment opportunities (many students go on to full-time employment with their co-op employer after graduating from the program)
Top of page